Monday, May 24, 2010

Northern Arkansas

When I think of Arkansas... I think of the amazing rocks that stack up forming beautiful bluffs, the rolling hills, gorgeous rivers, natural waterfalls and long curvy roads.  Arkansas is truly beautiful!  Over the weekend Cliff and I rode 500 miles creating the latest tale... 



We traveled through... Fayetteville, Elkins, Huntsville, the Ozark National Forest, Mount Judea, Clarksville, Yellville, Marshall, Gassville, Mountain Home and Oark. Click here for the day one route.  Click here for the route for day two.

 


There is something really fascinating about old run down 
buildings and houses, and this one was spectacular. 

On our journey... we passed a goat with his head stuck in a fence.  We turned around to help the poor guy out.  He wasn't happy about getting a helping hand, but Cliff turned his head... and got him free!




Along Highway 123... we stopped in Mount Judea at the General Store, where we met a friendly dog named Amos.  He lives across the street and greets all the customers.

  

Amos.  What a good boy!



We had lunch... at the Cliff House Inn... where else would you eat when traveling with Cliff?  The views are breathtaking and it's a popular stop for bikers.









I got off the bike... to get a closer look at some horses, and one came trotting over to me to give me a kiss.  Sweetest horse I've ever met!



A little further down the road... we came upon a pasture of cows.  We stopped to take a few pictures.  A woman's voice from a small house yelled out... "Ya'll don't be messing with my cattle!"   I'm not sure what she thought we were going to do to her cows.  We were on a motorcycle after all.  It's not like we can... hoist a cow over the fence and drive off with it!




We arrived in Gassville... and stopped at an eclectic antique store called The Sunshine Trading Post.  The shop owner Jerry, gave us some great ride recommendations, and we changed our route accordingly.  Thanks Jerry!


Jerry shows Cliff a map and some roads we should take.

We loved this store... and got to meet the resident shop cats!

 

Cliff loves artifacts, and bought this old stone that was once an Indian Tomahawk.
Arkansas if full of buried artifacts, and it's amazing when people find them! 


Don and Debbie scratched their name on this bridge in 1982.
We wondered if Don and Deb are still together?

The White River

Later that evening... after checking into a hotel in Mountain Home, we went to Fred's Fish House for Dinner.  The restaurant overlooks Norfork Lake.  We sat outside and enjoyed the view and our sunburns.  Ouch!


  

The sign says:  
FRIENDS WELCOME
RELATIVES BY APPOINTMENT
It had a few bullet holes in it!

We love old bridges... and Arkansas is full of them.  This one was pretty much falling apart, but that didn't stop us from getting a closer look, walking and riding all over it.




An abandoned school house... called out for us to stop and check it out.  Built in 1946, and sitting next to a cemetery, it had been a long time since any students had walked it's one hall.




The roads leading to Oark were amazing...  sweeping and curling through the mountains.  I love it when you can feel the temperature drop as you buzz by a creek or an area that is heavily shaded by trees.




We stopped in Oark... at the Oark Cafe and General Store.  We found out the owner and his wife are from Tulsa!  It was lot of fun to talk to him and hear how they came to live in Oark. The Cafe and General Store are the oldest business in Arkansas.



They had GREAT chocolate pie!


You never know... what you might see in the road.  On this trip we saw snakes, turtles, a bobcat, and a fox.  I never seem to notice these things when traveling by car... only on the bike!


We found an interesting place to stop... a bubbling brook with a cave-like overhang in the cliff.  We walked back into the woods to explore.



And so... another great trip on the back of the bike comes to an end.  If you haven't been to Arkansas, go there!  It's beautiful and the people are really nice.  Who doesn't love that?

12 comments:

Alex said...

Randi, Do you have a sister? I want a girl just like you! I enjoy your blog. Take care and keep on riding!

Sandra said...

Love all the animals you run into. Tell Cliff he is a kind soul for helping the goat out.

Jon said...

I know that school you stopped at. It was a church too. All the local people say it is haunted. Kids in that area like to go there at night and scare the crap out of each other.

BikerJoe said...

I'm with you Alex... Randi needs to clone herself. My gf will ride with me for a few miles, but beyond the city limits she just bitches the whole time. She would never stop to take a pict of a snake or walk through old falling down houses. Cliff is a lucky guy! This blog is great.

Doug said...

Excellent. You have a lovely smile and that is probably because you are enjoying herself very, VERY much! I'm telling you, everyone needs to give it a whirl! I am very happy for you and your beau! There is nothing like travelling on a Harley!

TS Franklin said...

I also love seeing all the animals you meet. Cool photos! Thanks for sharing.

Jerry said...

Hi Randi, the blog is great. I have sent it to all I know an some I don't. Please stop by again for a visit. Thanks again.

Stephanie Cole said...

OK! You gave me a great incentive to start taking pictures from your Texas trip. When we went to Arkansas I was snapping pictures and they were awesome until I looked at one of the pictures and was going to delete it and accidentally deleted all and my pictures disappeared. I was so bumbed! Thanks for sharing these from Arkansas! You all are going to have to let me know when your next trip is....we would really enjoy riding together with you all....you take the time to see the true beauty of your travels!!! Love the story about the goat!!!

Texas said...

I do enjoy your blog! This is my comment. Not sure about the picture with the orb and yellow streaks. Sometimes cameras do things like that. But then again, if it is some kind of energy, you def got it on film.

Sandra said...

Maybe the lady that said "Ya'll don't be messing with my cattle!" thought you were there for "Cow Tipping"

Tracy Gerlach said...

I am loving your Blog Randi. It is inspiring me to do one when I ride on RAGBRAI this Summer.

Unknown said...

I thoroughly enjoy checking out your blog and seeing your beautiful pictures from all the adventures. Bill and I are hoping to get to Oklahoma in September...would be GREAT to see you!